How to Paint Surfer Death Guard

SURFING DEATH GUARD PART ONE!

I haven't come up with a unit name or reasoning behind the exact color scheme I used other than I wanted originally a pastel glowing green like the cover of the Death Guard Codex. I later figured the lore of my army would be that they are units individually cursed by particular named units in my army dictating their color scheme. So if I add more marines, that unit's color scheme will be dependant on whom I choose as their infector. I think I like that lore. Well I haven't created the infector to go with this color scheme yet, but I do like the pastel green, if you like it, here are some steps to achieve the same look. Maybe the Butthole Surfers....to on the nose.....


1. I start with a coat of your good old Death Guard Green from GW. Do several thin costs as 
the great and mighty Duncan commands



2. Then I wash that bad boi with a sick amount of Vallejo Sepia Ink. This ink is inherently super gross, not sure if I got a bad bottle, but it's gross. I try to water this down, but it still is a major staining ink. I still need to experiment more with this. If you don't like this ink, a mix of GW Serphin and Agatha, should produce perhaps similar results (I'll test this in the future).


3. I then thin out some more Death Guard, and layer up leaving the darkened recesses alone. 


4.  Grab Scale 75 Surfer Ork skin and either layer or drybrush over the Death Guard Green. It's okay
to be messy, these are Death Guard. You can clean up at later stages if you want to refine it


5. This is the point where my impatience won and I had to do some base coating on the other areas of the figure. So I added some thinned down GW Rhinox Hide to the recesses of the armor and added as a based for the rusty areas. And then I added GW Rharth Flesh to the skull, and Scale 75 Black/grey to the bolter. 

And that's it for the moment. Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular Posts