MORBACK IS A GOD!

SITE RECOMMENDATION AND MAN LOVE (not that kind...yet)


Or at least some kind of chaos god! I can't explain enough my man love of this site and Morback aka Maxime Pastourel. Morback is one of the best sculptors I have ever seen and made my favorite line of miniatures thus far, the Death Guard (The starter set has all his Guard). A good amount of the newest Death Guard were designed by Morback. Every time I see an amazing miniature I find his name associated with it. He does not miss the mark on anything he sculpts, thus far. And then to top it off he has been creating some of his own personal minis from kit bashing, sculpting and just intuitive methods. Most of these amazing creations can be seen on the mini group website Blog De Kouzes. There are several other artists on the site that are also amazing, and they all get together and create amazing miniatures. 

I mean seriously look at some of these minis!!!






They are all such great writers too. They don't just create some cool looking minis, they also put some serious character and thought into each miniature.  For example:



Asphodel is a priest of the Ministorum established on Forasticus Prime for several centuries. Pious beyond measure, he is the guardian of the rites and traditions of the inhabitants living near the Temple of Emerald, and the spiritual leader of the Order of the Twisted Tree.


And then when you kit bash them, you are adding even more to the creative arc of these beasts. Truly a fun and exciting career they have, painting, sculpting, writing and when you have time, playing games (they actually play with those pieces of art!). 

The one mystery, I assume wrapped in legality, is the actual process to which they sculpt the Games Workshop miniatures. Unless I have missed this, I have never seen anyone sculpt one. But perhaps I am looking in the wrong areas. I have taken a interest in sculpting resin figures and I am curious how similar or dissimilar the process is.

And as tutorials go, you can't get much better then this site. They are pretty transparent on how they create things and are freely giving away info on how to replicate sculpts, paints and anything else they fancy sharing. I have learned a great deal that I have implemented in my sculpting and painting from this site. A day would not be wasted spent going through all ten years of this site. 

Look at this base tutorial for example:


Comments

Popular Posts